Why reach out?
Because the stress and psychological effects of the job also impact you, and you need support as well.
Because what you are feeling is NOT all in your head
We know that many of the sources of workplace stress impacting Fire, EMS and Dispatch professionals, when not addressed, can affect the people closest to them as well.
Far too many people working in this high tension job don’t ask for help when they need it, and will push themselves to try and function normally despite feeling chronically stressed, or after a specific traumatic workplace event.
This reluctance to talk about these feelings at home can lead to increased emotional distance, as well as countless other stress reactions that cause physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioral symptoms.
If you are feeling like something is going on, or has changed, it probably has.
Because there are things you can do to help them
There are many things that you can do to support your loved one at home. Here are a few. Call us and we’ll provide you with others that more specifically address your unique circumstances.
- Understand that your loved one is experiencing chronic workplace stress or has experienced a traumatic workplace event, but don’t expect to understand the feelings or emotions they are experiencing.
- Listen carefully, but not judgmentally.
- Try not to downplay or minimize the severity of their experience. Be careful to avoid phrases like, “It could have been worse”.
- Be there when necessary, but don’t be overbearing.
- Offer the simple reassurance that you love them.
Because there are things you can do to help you
- Everyone needs support, and when you feel disconnected from your usual supports or they become inaccessible because they are struggling themselves, we are here for you.
- When you need objectivity on a situation that you can only get from talking to someone you don’t know, but who understands exactly what you are going through, we are here for you.
- When you are faced with a situation that you would rather discuss with someone outside your circle of friends and family, or that requires outside assistance to resolve, we are here for you.
- When you just need someone to listen so you can talk it out for yourself, and hear someone tell you that you are on the right track, we are here for you.
- Whatever the reason, no matter how big or small it feels, we are here for you.
NJ Fire & EMS Lifeline
We understand the stress and challenges of this profession and are here to help. If you find yourself struggling, we can be your lifeline.